Friday, May 1, 2015

Boston Marathon and my parent's...

April 15th, 2013 will be a day that I will never forget in my life. The events of that day will stay with me forever.

It is the day that my daddy ran in the Boston Marathon. In September of 2012, my parents came here to visit and while they were here we all went to Burlington for my dad to run a marathon in Washington state. I didn't know at the time, but if he did well enough he would qualify himself for the Boston Marathon the next year. It was an amazing experience to watch my dad finish his marathon here... he even did well enough that he qualified to run in the Boston Marathon.

So, mom and dad planned their trip up north and they flew out. I knew on April 15th when I got to work that my dad would have already started the run. I got to work and I pulled up the website where I could watch him run the race. There was a tracker that had a little man icon that was running and as dad got farther the man went farther on the tracker. It was awesome for us kids, who were watching his progress from afar.

Around 11:45 I noticed that dad's man on the tracker quit moving farther. It was still running, but it was running in place. I got a text from my oldest brother shortly after that and he asked if I had talked to mom and dad yet. I said no. His only reply was, "Turn on the news." With that comment, my heart dropped. I think I lost my breath for a few moments. I knew something happened. I started shaking and quickly opened Google and typed in Boston Marathon. It pulled up different things, but when I saw the headline 2 bombs just went off near the finish line at the Boston Marathon, I just started crying. I dialed my dad's number with no answer. I texted my middle brother and asked if he had heard from mom and dad. I started to have a panic attack. My boss came in and asked what was going on and all I could do was point to the screen. He went into his office and he turned on the news. When I walked in to his office and saw the destruction that was happening over there, I could barely breath. I kept telling myself that dad's tracker was in between the 2 bombs and mom was at the finish line waiting for him. I could not move. I could not talk. I just kept calling my dad's phone praying he would answer. I asked people to start praying for them and I just sat there and waited. I went outside a few times to catch my breath... And then all of a sudden all the texts and posts on Facebook started asking me if I had talked to my parents yet and if I knew if they were okay.

It was the LONGEST 40 minutes of my life.... finally my phone rang and my dad was on the other end telling me that they were both okay! He said that he was about 50 feet from the first bomb that went off and then he heard the second one go off behind him. My dad had angels surrounding him that day. It took me a good 2-3 hours to quit shaking after talking to my dad. I also wasn't okay until I talked to my mom which happened later in the day. But I am extremely thankful that my dad and mom were okay. We are all thankful for that!


No comments:

Post a Comment